Frequently Asked Questions
What to look for in a Basement Contractor
You want to make sure that you’re dealing with a reputable contractor. Asking the right questions will help you in this process.
- How long have they been in business? Look for a business that has been around long enough to provide references and to service their warranties.
- Are they licensed and insured? Not only is this the law but it is vital to your personal safety. (see the points below for more information)
- Can they provide references? Talk to their references and go and see work they have done.
- Are their contracts fixed price? Many contractors offer what seems like super low prices in order to get business. They use allowances to increase the finished price as construction progresses. Insist on a firm price for your basement.
- Will they provide lien release for their subcontractors? This is vital. You may pay the general contractor but that does not guarantee that the subcontractors have been paid. If they are not, they may place a lien on your house.
- The last point is subjective… how do you feel when you meet the contractor? Do they seem like a person you’d like to work with? If not, you should consider other options.